Sweet Pongal Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Raw Rice – 1/2 cup heaped
Moong Dal(Pasi Paruppu) – 1/8 cup +1 tbsp
Jaggery – 3/4 cup
Water – 3 cups(for cooking rice) + 1 and 1/4 cup(for jaggery syrup)
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Cashews – 8 broken
Raisins – 1 tbsp
Edible camphor – a very tiny pinch (optional)
Cardamom powder – a pinch
- Dissolve jaggery in water, use hot water to dissolve easily. Then heat it up until for the remaining lumps to get dissolved, let it come to a rolling boil.
- Switch off and strain to remove impurities.Then add edible camphor(a very tiny pinch not more than that), cardamom, set aside.
- In a pressure cooker dry roast moong dal till golden brown.Then add rice and give a quick stir.
- Add 3 cups of water and pressure cook for3-4 whistles until mushy.Mash it well.Then add jaggery syrup.
- Add the jaggery syrup and cook well in medium flame for 5mins.If it starts getting dry add ghee and keep mixing till you get the pongal consistency.Finally add the ghee fried cashews,raisins and switch off.
Serve hot with ghee drizzled.
- I used paagu velam to get the dark brown color. You can use normal jaggery too.
- Pressure cooking time of rice depends on the variety of rice so adjust accordingly.New rice needs little lesser water whereas old rice requires more.
- Pongal gets thicker in consistency after cooling down so switch off accordingly. If it get dry, while serving add little ghee and milk.