I didn't have any plans to try mixture recipe but my sis encouraged me to make mixture at home saying that it is very easy just to mix up all the ingredients once they are ready. So when I made boondi I planned to make mixture as well and here it is for you :)
I remember those days when we as kids used to sit aside and enjoy this mixture while playing cards. And it was a nostalgic moment when I was snacking on this mixture few weeks back. Sometimes I feel guilty while snacking on these deep fried snacks but then I opt to burn the calories it is sure a better option which will lead to a healthier lifestyle :)
South Indian Mixture Recipe - IngredientsCooking & PreparationTime: 40 mins
Kara Boondhi - 1 cup
Ompodi(Sev) - 1 cup
Poha(Aval) - 1/4 cup
Gram Dhal(Potukadalai) - 1/4 cup
Cashewnuts - 3 tbsp broken
Peanuts - a handful
Curry leaves - a handful
Red Chilli powder / Pepper powder - 1 tsp
Hing - as required
Salt - to taste
Other optional ingredients:Ribbon Pakoda - 1/4 cup
Mullu Murukku - 2
Thattai - 2 to 3
1.I made boondi and ompodi a day ahead to save time. Make all the ingredients ready - Deep fry peanuts and curry leaves until crisp, drain in a tissue and set aside. Then fry poha, gram dhal each separately until crisp .You can add a pinch of salt , hing while frying but it is purely optional.
2.Then fry the cashews. Drain the excess oil in a tissue, set aside.Take a newspaper transfer all the ingredients.
3.Add red chilli powder / pepper powder and give a quick mix. Can you see who is helping me? :)) If you are adding ribbon pakoda, mullu murukku and thattai just crush them with your hands before adding. You can even transfer this to an airtight container and give a quick shake for it to mix evenly.
Your homemade south indian style flavourful mixture is ready!!
- There is no accurate measures for mixture recipe, its just plus or minus the ingredients as we would prefer so be generous in adding more whichever you like it.
- You can even crush garlic and fry it in oil and add it to the mixture for a garlic flavour.
- You can skip salt as well as all the fried items already has salt in it.
- You can additionally add cornflakes and other nuts too.
- If you like pepper flavour skip red chilli powder and add pepper.