Ven Pongal (Khara Pongal) or Ghee Pongal is one of the regular breakfast in south indian households. I am not a big fan of pongal but when served hot with ghee I cant say no to it :)
This is the best option to be served for guests. Once the rice and moong dhal is cooked making pongal can be done even 10mins before serving. Best served with coconut chutney or even coriander chutney and sambar.
1. Dry roast moong dhal until slightly browned, set aside with raw rice. You can soak rice and dhal for 30mins(optional, I didnt do). Pressure cook rice and moong dhal with 4 cups of water for 3-4 whistles until mushy.
Serve hot with chutney of your choice and sambar. I had clicked pongal twice before this but was not satisfied and finally this was ok to go :)
2.Meanwhile you can get ready with the tempering ingredients. First add little ghee and fry the cashews, set aside. In the same kadai add oil and the ingredients under 'to temper' and fry for 2mins.
3. Add hing and salt, give a quick stir. Once the pressure releases, open and add the tempered items, cashews to the cooked pongal. Mix well, add ghee finally.
- Soaking dhal and raw rice helps in cooking faster and even .
- Amma always roasts the moong dhal as it gives a nice flavour to the pongal
- Adjust water according to the rice variety.