Green Gram Sweet Sundal Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Green Gram – 3/4 cup
Coconut – 4 tbsp
Powdered Jaggery – 1/4 cup
Mustard seeds – 3/4 tsp
Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – a sprig
Red Chillies – 2 broken
Hing – a generous pinch
- Soak jaggery in warm water(till immersing level) , crush it well. Then heat it up until it is slightly thick (no string consistency needs to be checked) .Strain and keep aside.
- Soak green gram dhal overnight.Boil 2 cups of water(or water till immersing level) and add soaked green gram and required salt to it.Cook till it becomes soft,Set aside.In a pan heat oil – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter.Then add cooked green gram
- Then add jaggery syrup and give a toss until mixed well.Adjust salt if required at this stage.Then add coconut and give a quick stir.Switch off.
Serve warm as a evening snack or even for breakfast!
- You can even add powdered jaggery as such but to remove impurities I always heat up and strain.Also amma says adding jaggery syrup helps in even mixing.
- I did not make the syrup thick, just tossed it in a semi runny syrup.You can make the jaggery syrup a bit thicker to coat the sundal, its your preference.
- You can make a easy version by just mixing jaggery syrup and coconut without tempering, that tastes good too.
- You can replace green chillies instead of red chillies.
- Adjust sweetness according to your taste..As per the measurements given this is mildy sweet.