As I know I am going to try quite a few sweet recipes , I made it a point to try for a small quantity 🙂 This maida burfi can be made in just 15mins flat, can be made in a jiffy even when you have sudden guests. Are you scared for making sweets/ burfi this Diwali?!, then this maida burfi also called as maida cake is best for you, perfect for beginners as most of the process is done off the stove…Isnt that cool?!
Maida Burfi Recipe
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Maida – 1/4 cup heaped
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Water – 1/4 cup
Melted Ghee – 1/8 cup (2 tbsp) + 1 tsp
Rose Essence – a drop(optional)
Food Color – a drop(optional)
Badam – 5 chopped finely
- Grease a plate with 1 tsp ghee and keep it ready.Heat ghee, once it is smoking hot add maida and fry for a minute, once its fried and forms a sandy texture as you see here, switch off and set aside.In a pan add sugar.
- Then water and switch on the flame and let the syrup boil till the syrup reaches single string consistency….when you take the syrup between your fingers it should form a thin single string as shown that is the correct stage.It will be hot so be very careful.Now add the food color.
- Add maida and switch off.Yes you should cook this off the flame.After you add maida switch off and place it in your kitchen counter and start mixing.Break the lumps if it starts forming and keep mixing.At one stage it will start leaving the sides of the pan and the mixture will be slightly thick but yet flowing in consistency as shown below.
- Now immediately pour this mixture onto the greased plate, you can smooth the top with a greased ziplock or polythene sheet then sprinkle chopped almonds,slightly press it so that it sticks well to the burfi.Let it set for 15mins then cut into pieces and the burfis are ready.
Cool down and store in airtight container.
- If you have missed the perfect single string consistency then even after adding maida, the mixture will not thicken at all.In that case you can try adding little milk powder and keep stirring to get the desired consistency.But everything should be done off the stove.
- The syrup will be hot so be careful while touching it. Else you can check it with a laddle and see.I find checking with fingers easy as I’ve been doing this for a while now so got used to it now 🙂
- Choose a plate according to the quantity so that you can get perfect thickess and shape.
- I used pink liquid food color so added it directly if you are using food color powder then mix it with little water then add it so that its even.
- I used rose essence but you can skip that and add any other essence of your choice or just make it plain without any essence.
- The mixture will thicken fast so act quickly.Once maida mixture is added keep stirring to get the desired consistency.
- You can even leave it as such without nuts, but if you are adding nuts add it immediately while its still hot else it will not stick to the burfi.
- You can even use a whisk to mix to avoid lumps.
- Keeps well for about a week even without refrigeration.