The first time when I made I was in a hurry to pack it to my friend place so the clicks didnt come to my expectation so made it again the next week to post it here.This halwa is delicious and melt in the mouth texture, I added only little ghee so can make this guiltfree halwa anytime.
Kasi Halwa Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
White Pumpkin – 1 cup(grated)
Sugar – 3/4 cup
Cashews – 6 broken
Food color – a pinch
Cardamom powder – 1/8 tsp
Edible Camphor – a tiny pinch
Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Peel off the outer skin of pumpkin and grate the inner fleshy part.Measure it and keep aside. In a pan add a tsp of ghee and roast the cashews till golden brown,set aside.Dont disacrd the juice measure, add it along with the veggie.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of ghee along with grated pumpkin and saute till raw smell leaves. It will leave out water by itself so keep sauting, cook covered till it turns soft. Then add sugar,food color mix well.If the water isnt sufficient for the veggie to get cooked then add 1/4 cup water.
- Once pumpkin turns mushy and gets cooked well(it will be glossy and transparent), the next stage it will form together as a mass and leave the sides of the pan. At this stage, add remaining ghee,roasted cashews, cardamom powder,edible camphor and give a quick stir.Switch off and serve hot/warm.
I love it both hot and even cold! 🙂
- Dont add more edible camphor than mentioned quantity as it will overpower the halwa.
- Make sure raw smell is completely nil and the veggie is half cooked atleast only then add sugar.As after sugar is added the veggie will not get cooked well.
- Instead of food color, you can even add saffron strands.
- If you prefer a more greasy/richer version for 1 cup you can add 5 tbsp of ghee.