Curd rice is a comforting south indian rice recipe...It always makes me wonder how with the simple and humble ingredients it makes a flavourful and complete meal.It is actually not much of a recipe the measures and ingredients can be adjusted as per our reference. I love the buttery creamy curd rice served in grand sweets so tried to replicate it at home and here is my version of it.
Curd Rice Recipe - IngredientsServes: 2Cooking Time: 20 mins
Raw Rice - 1/2 cup
Thick curd - 1 cup
Milk - 1/4 cup
Butter - 2 tsp
Carrot - 1.5 tbsp (chopped finely)
Coriander leaves - 1/2 tbsp (chopped finely)
Ginger - 1 tsp (chopped finely)
Salt - to taste
To temper:Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urad dal - 3/4 tsp
Green chilli - 1 chopped finely
Hing - a generous pinch
Curry leaves - a sprig
1.Rinse rice twice and pressure cook rice with 2 cups of water for 4 whistles. Once pressure releases, allow the rice to cool a bit, Then mash the rice along with butter and curd. Mix well then add milk, mix to form a creamy mixture. Sprinkle little water if you prefer. Then heat oil in a kadai then add the ingredients listed under 'to temper' let it splutter.
2.Then add the tempered items to the curd rice mixture. Add carrot, coriander leaves, ginger, required salt and give a quick stir.Serve warm or chilled as per your preference.
- Make sure to cool down the rice before you add curd.
- If you prefer to add any seasonal fruits then add pomegranate and grapes which are apt for curd rice.
- You can also add raisins and cashews along with the tempering.
- Milk is added to avoid sourness when prepared in advance like while we pack it for lunch.
- I love it cold so use chilled curd.
- For a creamy version of curd rice, use thick curd.