As I had already mentioned I coudnt use the homemade ada for the payasam as I made the ada last week and it was a tight day for a photoshoot. So I used the store bought ones and made this couple of days back. However ada prathaman tasted divine........ Happy Onam to all mallu readers and friends in advance from Sharmis Passions!
Drain water and set aside the ada. Now start taking coconut milk, grind coocnut with little water and extract 2 cups of coconut milk one should be thick and another cup a bit thin . Fry cashews and coconut pieces in ghee and keep aside.Skip soaking and draining of ada if you are making ada at home
Simmer it until the payasam gets thick. It will further get thickened so take it a bit runny. Add cardomom powder , ghee fried cashews and coconut pieces(if you are using it), give a quick stir and switch off.Serve it hot or cold as per your liking.
- If you are using homemade ada then its just enough to add it directly to the paysam, only for store bought ada you need to add in boiling water to make it soft.
- The store bought ada is very tiny and cooks faster so take care not to smash it up.
- The consistency of the payasam while switching off should be semi thick as it thickens with time later, you can add little milk to make it payasam consistency while serving if you feel thick.
- You can add even raisins while frying cashews and add it to the prathaman. Adding ghee fried coconut pieces will be even more rich.
- The color of the prathaman light brown or dark brown mainly depends on the jaggery variety.
The flavour of coconut milk with the rice ada tastes divine that I coudnt stop with one cup :) Next n my todo list is the pal ada prathaman with sugar.