Chana butter masala recipe
Chana butter masala recipe a creamy and rich gravy serves as a great sidedish for naan,roti etc
To saute and grind:
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 medium sized onion roughly chopped
- 3 medium sized tomatoes roughly chopped
- 6 nos whole cashews
- 1 no green chilli
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- salt to taste
Soak channa overnight or atleast for 8 hrs.Next day rinse well and add it to pressure cooker along with salt and pressure cook for 5-6 whistles or until soft.When you press it should be soft.Do not dicard the stock.
To a sauce pot - add all the ingredients listed under 'to roast and grind' saute until mushy.Cook covered until raw smell leaves completely and the mixture turns mushy and soft.Transfer to a bowl cool down and puree it along with little water to a smooth paste.Set aside.
Now to the same sauce pot - add 1 tbsp butter along with ginger garlic paste and kashmiri red chilli powder.Mix well - this step is done to get a bright orange color to the gravy.Now add onion tomato paste along with coriander powder and milk.Mix well and let it boil for few mins.Now add cooked chana along with cooked water.
Mix well, boil for 2 mins finally add garam masala,kasoori methi,fresh cream mix well.Simmer for 5 mins and switch off.Finally top it with butter and close until serving time.
- Soaking chana overnight or atleast for 8 hrs is a must to get soft chana.
- Grind it very smooth along with little water to get creamy gravy.
- You can add cashew paste seperately too but I prefer to saute everything together and puree it as its quick and easy.
- I used the top malai from milk.Boil milk simmer for few mins, close and keep.After 30 mins using a spoon remove the malai mash it well and use it.
- Adjust according to spice level.
- You can even add a pinch of sugar for extra sweetness.My tomatoes were already tangy so I didn't add sugar.
- This gives nice volume so perfect to serve for parties or for guests.