Greem gram curry recipe
Greem gram curry recipe a kongunadu special curry perfect with rice, dosa, chapathi etc
- 1/2 cup green gram
- 10 nos small onion chopped
- 1 country tomato roughly chopped
- 1/2 tbsp coriander leaves for garnish
- salt to taste
- 2 and 1/2 cups water
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp jeera
- 2 nos garlic
- few curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp whole pepper
Dry roast green gram in a kadai in low flame for atleast 3-5 mins.Cool down, rinse it and set aside.In a pressure cooker heat oil - add jeera let it crackle then add curry leaves and garlic.Saute for few seconds then add chopped small onion.
Saute till transparent.Then add tomato,pepper corns saute until it shrinks.
Add turmeric powder,red chilli powder and coriander powder.Saute for a minute then add rinsed and drained green gram.
Saute for a minute.Add water and pressure cook for 6 whistles in low medium flame.
Let pressure release by itself , open switch on and mash it using a traditional mathu until its mashed well with whole green gram here and there.Add salt and coriander leaves. let it for a quick boil and switch off.
Serve with rice or chapathi!
- No need of prior soaking for this curry.
- Do not add salt before pressure cooking else green gram will not get cooked properly.
- If water is more after pressure cooking then let it boil for few mins then mash it.If its too dry then add little water boil the curry then mash it.
- If you do not like whole pepper coming in mouth while eating, you can slightly crush it and add it.
- I prefer adding country tomato , but if you don't have add normal bangalore tomato itself.
- As most dal recipes this also thickens with time, you can add hot water and boil it incase if you are preparing well ahead of meal time.