Check out more millet recipes that I’ve already posted.
Thinai Pongal Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Thinai Arisi – 1/2 cup
Moong Dal – 1/4 cup
Water – 3 cups
Cashews – 5 whole
Ghee – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tsp
Pepper – 1/2 tsp (whole or crushed roughly)
Jeera – 1/2 tsp (whole or crushed roughly)
Curry Leaves – few
Green Chillies – 1
Ginger – 1/2 tsp chopped finely
Hing – 1/8 tsp
- Dry roast moong dal till golden brown.Transfer to pressure cooker, then Rinse the millet well,drain water and add it to cooker.
- Add water and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles in medium flame.Switch off.
- Once pressure releases, mash up rice and dal well with a laddle.It will look goey at this stage but will start to thicken with time.Now get ready with the tempering items…Heat oil in a pan – add the items listed under ‘ temper’ let it splutter.
- Add the tempered items to the pongal,add required salt mix well.Fry cashews in ghee till golden brown.
- Add fried cashews to the pongal.Give a quick stir , I added little more salt as it was too less when I tasted it .
Serve hot with a drizzle of ghee on top along with chutney and sambar.
- I recommend serving hot / warm else it will become dry as with any pongal.
- Drizzle ghee, garnish with cashews while serving to give the pongal a more appealing look 🙂
- If you don’t like whole pepper corns then crush it coarsely and then add it.