Palada Popsicles Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Dessert | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Basmati Rice – 2 heaped tsp
Milk – 2 cups (1/2 liter)
Sugar – 1/8 cup(2 tbsp)
Mango Pulp – 1/2 cup
Saffron – a pinch
Condensed Milk – 1 tbsp
Ghee – 1 tsp
Cashews – 5 chopped
Chopped Mangoes – for garnish
Cardamom powder – a pinch (optional)
- Chop mangoes roughly.Take it in a blender and make a puree without adding water.Measure and keep aside.
- Take basmati rice in a blender, grind it to a coarse mixture,Set aside.In a tbsp of warm milk add saffron and let it soak.
- Take milk in a vessel, add rice, then put a spoon inside the vessel(this is to avoid milk overflowing).
- Take a pressure cooker put the stand add water to it then place the vessel containing milk on it.Add saffron milk.
- Close with a lid and pressure for 15-20mins in low flame.Once pressure releases slowly open, then remove the spoon.
- You can see the rice has cooked now.Now transfer the milk to a heavy bottomed pan.Add suga, it will become runny.
- Let it simmer for 5mins,then add condensed milk and switch off.Let it cool down.When it is cooled(can be slightly warm) add mango puree.
- Mix well.Add cardamom powder.
- Heat ghee then add cashews and fry till golden.Add it to the kheer.Add chopped mango pieces while serving.
Garnish and serve warm / chilled.
- This payasam tends to thicken with time, so make it little runny.If the payasam is already thick then while adding mango puree it will get more thick so adjust the consistency accordingly and ten switch off.
- I recommend adding mango pieces only at the time of serving else it will soak up and become soggy.
- If you don’t want pressure cooker method then simmer milk in a pan until it becomes half and then proceed.
- Add sugar only after rice gets cooked.
- After adding sugar it will become watery, so simmer for few mins.
- You can even replace rice with vermicelli but in that case cook vermicelli them add it to milk.
- Adjust quantity if sugar depending on the mango sweetness.
- Adding spoon or a plate will avoid milk from overflowing.
- Cool down the payasam fully before adding mango pulp.It is ok if its warm but should not be hot.
- If you feel the payasam to be thick, just add in little milk while serving.
- You can serve it warm or cold – I love it cold 🙂