Fried modak is usually made with maida and rava for outer dough but I’ve used wheat flour instead of maida, as its deep fried either ways it tastes delicious.The filling can be your choice, you can use khoya with dry fruits&nuts, or moong dal jaggery or kesari filling etc.
Fried Modak Recipe
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Whole Wheat Flour – 1 cup
Sooji – 1/8 cup
Ghee – 2 tsp
Salt – to taste
For the stuffing:
Coconut – 1/2 cup grated
Powdered Jaggery – 1/3 cup, Water – 1/3 cup
Cardamom powder – a generous pinch
- Soak jaggery in warm water(till immersing level) , crush it well. Then heat it up until it is slightly thick (no string consistency needs to be checked).Strain and keep aside.(I made more than above mentioned quantity for storing purpose).
- Take wheat flour in a mixing bowl, add ghee, sooji and salt to it.Mix well.
- Add water little by little and knead it to a slightly stiff dough.Let it rest for atleast 15mins.Then knead it again , then make small balls out of it.Set aside.
- Take coconut in a pan and roast for few mins until the moisture is gone.Set aside.Heat the jaggery syrup until its thick more like honey.
- Then add roasted coconut and keep mixing.After few mins it will form a sticky mass, at this stage add cardamom powder, mix well and switch off and let it to cool.
- Take a ball and roll it thin using chapathi roller.Dust flour if it sticks.Take a generous spoon of coconut filling and place it at the center. Now start pinching the edges one by one like shown below.
- Once its done,bring all the edges to the center and seal it completely.
- Finish all the modaks and arrange it a plate.Heat oil in a kadai, it should not be smoking hot ,fry the modaks in batches till golden brown.Fry in medium low flame.Drain in tissue paper and serve.
Serve hot / warm!
- The modak stays crisp for a while, after that it becomes little soft.So its better to serve hot / warm.
- Roll the dough thin to get a crispy outside.
- Make sure to seal the edges of the modak carefully, else it will open out while frying.
- You can replace wheat flour with maida to get more crispy texture.
- You can even add roasted peanut powder / sesame seeds with coconut stuffing.
- I used homemade wheat flour.