Kollu Chutney is a popular chutney recipe from the cuisine of Kongunadu.Kollu (Horsegram) has a lot of health benefits and works as a great weight reducing agent esp for cholestrol.I have already tried kollu podi(recipe coming up soon) kollu sundal and kollu rasam. Now this kollu chutney is a new addition to my list of kollu recipes.This pairs up well as a sidedish for idli and dosa.You can even mix it with rice and have it.
This kollu paruppu chutney reminded me of kadala chutney though the taste is not the same the texture is smooth like the peanut chutney and we loved it a lot.
Kollu Chutney Recipe
Recipe Category: Chutney | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Kollu(Horsegram) – 1/4 cup
Chana Dal -1 tbsp
Jeera – 1 tsp
Coconut – 2 tbsp
Tamarind – 1 tsp
Dried Red Chillies – 2
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 3/4 tsp
Hing – a pinch
Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
- Dry roast horsegram till slightly browned, it will start giving a nice aroma at that stage switch and transfer to a plate, set aside.In a pan – add chana dal,red chillies and coconut and roast for 3mins.
- Then add horsegram and roast for 2mins.Finally add tamarind.Cool down the mixture and transfer to a mixer.
- Add little water and grind it form a semi coarse paste.Temper the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter then transfer the tadka to the chutney, add required salt and mix well.
Serve with hot idli / dosa.
- If you like ginger flavour, then add a small piece of ginger while grinding.
- You can even add garlic while roasting the ingredients then grind it.
- Add 1 big onion while sauteing to give a different flavour.