Aval Payasam is usually made for gokulashami(krishna jayanthi)...I have already posted a version of aval payasam with jaggery........this one is with sugar with coconut cashew flavour. I was planning to make aval/poha payasam recipe just like paal payasam...coincidentally my neighbour gave paasi paruppu payasam last week and it was too good to taste,and the flavour was unique too so asked her the recipe and I adapted it to suit aval payasam and here is my version :) What are you planning to make for gokulashtami?
Aval Payasam Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 20 mins | Serves : 2
Recipe Category: Dessert | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Full Cream Milk - 2 cups
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder - a generous pinch
Cashews - 5 broken
Ghee - 2 tsp
To grind together:Coconut - 2 tbsp
Cashews - 5 whole
Poppy seeds - 1 tsp
- Heat 1 tsp ghee in a tadka pan - add cashews and fry till golden brown, set aside. Rinse poha and roast it in a tsp of ghee for 3mins until it changes color slightly,Keep aside.
- Boil milk, keep in sim and reduce its volume to atleast 1.5 cups.Then add sugar and mix well. Now flavour the milk by adding cardamom powder.
- Grind together the ingredients listed under 'to grind' to a smooth paste.Add it to the boiling milk and let it boil till raw smell leaves.
- Now add ghee roasted poha and give a quick stir.Let it boil in sim. Once poha turns soft and is nicely blended with milk.Switch off and garnish with ghee roasted cashews.
Serve hot / cold as per your preference!
- Instead of adding coconut, you can add coconut milk also.
- Adjust sugar as per your taste.
- You can even add a pinch of saffron for extra flavour.
- Raisins can be added while frying cashews.
- If you prefer you can coarse grind poha and then proceed with the steps.
- I used full cream milk so I reduced the volume only little as the milk was already thick.Ig you are using normal / cows milk then you may have to reduce the volume by half.
Written by: SHARMILEE J