Aval Payasam Recipe – Ingredients
Preparation Time : 10 mins | Cooking Time : 20 mins | Serves : 2
Recipe Category: Dessert | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Aval (Poha) – 1/2 cup
Full Cream Milk – 2 cups
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder – a generous pinch
Cashews – 5 broken
Ghee – 2 tsp
To grind together:
Coconut – 2 tbsp
Cashews – 5 whole
Poppy seeds – 1 tsp
- Heat 1 tsp ghee in a tadka pan – add cashews and fry till golden brown, set aside. Rinse poha and roast it in a tsp of ghee for 3mins until it changes color slightly,Keep aside.
- Boil milk, keep in sim and reduce its volume to atleast 1.5 cups.Then add sugar and mix well. Now flavour the milk by adding cardamom powder.
- Grind together the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ to a smooth paste.Add it to the boiling milk and let it boil till raw smell leaves.
- Now add ghee roasted poha and give a quick stir.Let it boil in sim. Once poha turns soft and is nicely blended with milk.Switch off and garnish with ghee roasted cashews.
- Instead of adding coconut, you can add coconut milk also.
- Adjust sugar as per your taste.
- You can even add a pinch of saffron for extra flavour.
- Raisins can be added while frying cashews.
- If you prefer you can coarse grind poha and then proceed with the steps.
- I used full cream milk so I reduced the volume only little as the milk was already thick.Ig you are using normal / cows milk then you may have to reduce the volume by half.
Check out my aval payasam (with jaggery) that I posted years back
Gokulashtami Wishes to all!!