Aval Kesari - I didnt plan to make this aval kesari....I wanted to make poha halwa but last minute craving for kesari made me try this :) If you are not confident / scared about trying out seedai,murukku recipes here is an easy recipe for you....I just made it like rava kesari recipe and it did satify my kesari craving :) After the kitchen disaster I planned to keep it simple this year with homemade butter and aval urundai for gokulashtami which is a day away...Whats your plan?
Aval Kesari Recipe - Ingredients
Preparation Time : 5 mins | Cooking Time : 10 mins | Serves : 2
Aval(Poha) - 1/2 cup(I used thick variety)
Ghee - 3 tbsp
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Cashews & Raisins - 1 tsp each
Water - 1/2 cup
Saffron - 1/8 tsp(soaked in a tbsp of warm milk)
Orange Food Color - a small pinch
- Rinse poha well and set aside for sometime to dry.Then coarse grind poha in a mixer.Heat a tsp ghee in a pan - fry cashews and raisins will golden brown,set aside. Then in the same pan add poha and roast it for 3mins until nice aroma comes,Set aside.
- Boil water , once it starts boiling add poha and let it turn soft.Then add sugar and food color(add the foodcolor to water and then add to ensure even spreading).
- The sugar will start melting, once it gets dissolved add ghee and keep stirring until it comes as a hole mass without sticking to the pan.Finally add saffron milk, fried cashew raisins and switch off.
- You can add a pinch of cardamom powder instead of saffron just for variation.
- Switch off when its slighting in flowing consistency as it will become thick while cooling down.
- Adjust water level - may be you can start with 1/3 cup add poha,check then add remaining water.
- Dont compromise on ghee as thats the main ingredient which adds great taste to this kesari.
Written by: SHARMILEE J