Gokulashtami / Krishna Jayanthi 2013 Wishes to all!!
Aval Kesari Recipe – Ingredients
Aval(Poha) – 1/2 cup(I used thick variety)
Ghee – 3 tbsp
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Cashews & Raisins – 1 tsp each
Water – 1/2 cup
Saffron – 1/8 tsp(soaked in a tbsp of warm milk)
Orange Food Color – a small pinch
- Rinse poha well and set aside for sometime to dry.Then coarse grind poha in a mixer.Heat a tsp ghee in a pan – fry cashews and raisins will golden brown,set aside. Then in the same pan add poha and roast it for 3mins until nice aroma comes,Set aside.
- Boil water , once it starts boiling add poha and let it turn soft.Then add sugar and food color(add the foodcolor to water and then add to ensure even spreading).
- The sugar will start melting, once it gets dissolved add ghee and keep stirring until it comes as a hole mass without sticking to the pan.Finally add saffron milk, fried cashew raisins and switch off.
Serve hot / warm as per your liking!
- You can add a pinch of cardamom powder instead of saffron just for variation.
- Switch off when its slighting in flowing consistency as it will become thick while cooling down.
- Adjust water level – may be you can start with 1/3 cup add poha,check then add remaining water.
- Dont compromise on ghee as thats the main ingredient which adds great taste to this kesari.