Pepper Rasam Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Side dish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Tamarind – lemon sized ball
Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp chopped roughly
Salt – to taste
To dry roast and grind:
Pepper – 1 tsp
Jeera – 1 tsp
Garlic – 1 (I used it with skin)
Red Chilli – 1
Toor dal – 1.5 tbsp
Ghee – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Hing – a generous pinch
Red Chilli – 2
- In a pan – Dry roast the ingredients(till dal turn golden brown) listed under ‘to toast & grind’ and grind it to a coarse powder.
- Soak tamarind in 1 cup of water, take thick pulp out of it. Add 1/2-3/4 cup water(depends on the thickness of your tamarind pulp) to the thick tamarind pulp and let it boil till raw smell of tamarind leaves.
- Now add the coarse powder and let it boil for 2 mins…Add required salt.Meanwhile heat a kadai with oil+ghee and add the items listed under ‘to temper’…allow it to splutter.
- Then transfer the tempered items to the boiling rasam.Let it for a single rolling, garnish with coriander leaves and switch off.
Serve hot with steamed rice!
- Ghee gives a nice flavour to the rasam so dont skip it.
- Dont let the rasam boil for more time which is the key to make a good rasam.
- This is little spicy with pepper so adjust red chillies according to your spice level.
- Adjust water quantity according to the thickness of the tamarind pulp.
- You can add tomatoes too…if so add it after tempering saute it for few mins till raw smell leaves.