I am becoming a fan of variety rice these days, for the main reason of easily putting it together for lunch and tasty rice in a jiffy. I made this rice for hubby to pack it up, it was a quite different recipe with the masala powder in it which is sure an interesting twist.
1. Dry roast the ingredients listed under 'to roast and grind' to golden brown and grind it to a fine powder.
2.In a tawa heat oil add the ingredients under 'to temper' and saute then add coconut and saute until slightly browned.
3. Then add the capsicum and saute for 2mins. Then add the masala powder , required salt and cooked rice.
Cook rice with grains separated. The ratio I use is 1 cup rice : 1.5 cups of water for presoaked rice for 30mins. Pressure cook it for 3 whistles in medium flame. Once pressure releases, open and fluff it with a fork.
4.Mix well until the masalas and capsicum is well blended with rice. Then add peanuts and coriander leaves chopped.
This is a bit of spicy kind of variety rice, so its best when served warm with raita and chips.
- You can skip peanuts and add roasted cashews too.
- You can skip cinnamon if you dont like the flavour.
- The masala powder keeps well even for 2-3 weeks so you can make it well in advance and store it.
- It was a bit spicy for our taste buds, so the spice level can be adjusted to your preference.