Aviyal Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
Mixed Vegetables – 2.5 cups chopped(I used potato,yam,carrot,beans,ashgourd,cucumber,raw mango,drumstick,raw banana)
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Thick Curd – 1/4 cup
Salt – to taste
To grind to a coarse paste:
Coconut – 1/2 cup
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Green Chilli – 1
Coconut Oil – 1.5 tsp
Curry leaves – few
- Boil water in a vessel and the veggies along with salt and turmeric powder. I first added the veggies that takes longer to cook(drumstick,beans,carrot,potato) then when its half cooked added the other veggies – take care not to mush the vegetables, make sure the veggies are crunchy.Drain water and keep the veggies aside.In a blender – add the ingredients listed under ‘ to grind to a coarse paste’.
- Grind it with little water to a coarse paste.In a kadai add the cooked veggies along with the coarse paste.Sprinkle little water and cook till raw smell of coconut leaves just saute for for 3-5mins.
- Add required salt, give a quick stir and switch off.Meanwhile heat coconut oil and add curry leaves allow it splutter then add this seasoning and curd to the aviyal and mix well.
Serve with steamed rice or as a side dish for any variety rice.
You can make it gravy kind or thick as per your preference. As I heard from mallus aviyal is usually made thick so its easy to serve it in banana leaf(vazhailai) for onam sadya.
- Cut the veggies lengthwise not too small as it will get mushed up easily.There is no specific quantity for each veggie – add it as per your choice.
- The consistency of aviyal can be adjusted as per your preference.
- The key to a perfect aviyal is to cook each veggie perfectly.Also grind the coconut mixture coarse and not too smooth.
- Adding coconut oil enhances the flavour and gives it the traditional kerala aviyal taste so dont skip it.