Thatta payaru sundal
Thatta payaru sundal is an excellent variation to our regular sundal recipes. It is made with brown cowpeas very nutritious and healthy sundal you can make for Navaratri.
- 1/2 cup thatta payaru cowpeas
- 1/4 cup fresh coconut grated
- salt to taste
To roast and grind
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp pepper corns
- 3 to 4 nos red chillies
- 2 tsp oil
- 3/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- a small sprig curry leaves
- a tiny pinch hing
Dry roast thattapayaru for just 3 mins or until nice aroma comes.Pressure cook for 5 whistles in medium flame or until it becomes soft but don't make it mushy.Drain water and set aside.
Dry roast the ingredients listed under 'to roast and grind' till slightly golden then let it cool down.Grind it to a semi coarse mixture.
Heat oil in a pan - add the items listed under 'to temper' let it crackle.Then add thattapayaru along with salt and the spice powder(I didn't add fully just added half of it)
Toss it well and cook for 2mins in low flame.Then add grated coconut and give a quick mix.Switch off.
Serve hot / warm as a evening snack!
- Adjust spice level according to your taste buds.
- Roasting and cooking the legume lends great flavour to the sundal.
- Do not overcook the legume and make it mushy, it should be cooked soft at the same time not mushy.
Subscribe to our youtube channel to get latest updates!