Kaima idli recipe Saravana Bhavan hotel style
Kaima idli recipe Saravana Bhavan hotel style - Leftover Idlis deep fried and cooked in a spicy tomato based gravy.
- 5 nos idlis refrigerated for 1 hour
- 1 no big onion finely chopped
- 2 nos big tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 cup green peas boiled
- 1/2 from medium capsicum finely chopped
- 1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp coriander Leaves
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
- oil to toast
Cut the idli’s into small cubes and deep fry them in oil or toast them in tawa until golden brown.
Do it in batches , after toasting / frying transfer to a bowl and set aside.Heat oil in a pan - add fennel seeds,let it splutter, then add curry leaves and green chilli.Give a quick saute.
Add ginger garlic paste,onion required salt,saute till transparent.
Then add tomatoes saute until mushy and raw smell leaves.Then add capsicum along with kashmiri chilli powder,coriander powder and garam masala powders.
Saute for 2mins.Then add green peas.Give a quick mix.
Add water and let it boil for 2mins.Then add tomato sauce.Mix well.
Then add toasted idli cubes.Mix well then add coriander leaves and lemon juice.Toss until well coated,Dont mash it just turn over so that the masalas coat on all sides of the idlies.
- My notes:
- Always use a days leftover idlis or keep them refrigerated so that it drinks less oil and doesnt stick to each other.
- This is a spicy version , but when accompanied with onion raita it balances well. The gravy should be saucy not too dry or not too runny so that while adding the fried idlis it can coat well and also the idlis absorbs the masalas.
- Adding peas is purely optional but I saw it in the restaurant so added it. You can replace chopped tomatoes with tomato puree too.
- I used kashmiri chilli powder to get the bright red color.
Serving: 0g | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 0mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg