Homemade tamarind extract recipe
Homemade tamarind extract recipe a very useful essential to be stored.Can be used for many recipes like rasam,kuzhambu varieties,veggies etc
- 1 cup tamarind
- 1 and 1/2 cups water + as needed
Clean tamarind, check for seeds or any unwanted stuff, discard them.To a mixing bowl add tamarind, add warm water to it.Keep covered for 15 mins.After 15 mins, crush it well.If you want a thick paste consistency then add very little water.
Place a strainer over a sauce pan.Now pour the mixture into the strainer.Extract the pulp, add little more water to extract completely.Crush well with your hands and strain.
Place the sauce pan on the stove, switch on.Let it boil for a good 10 mins.Remove the scum on top.This step is optional but I usually remove atleast some part of it as we are storing it.
Once it is boiled, switch off and cool down.
Then store in a clean jar, keeps well in fridge for about a month.
- If you want to make thick tamarind paste then add just 3/4 cup water and make a pulp then follow the procedure.
- I usually make it this consistency as it suits my needs.
- If you want you can add salt but I usually don't as I have to be mindful while adding the extract in my recipes.
- Make sure to cool down completely only then store.
- Use a clean dry spoon everytime.