Idli milagai podi recipe
Idli milagai podi is one of the quite essential items in every household esp southindians
- 1/2 cup whole urad dhal
- 1.5 tsp cooking oil
- 11 nos red chillies
- 14 nos kashmiri red chillies
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp hing (Add 1/2 tsp if you like hing flavour more)
- 1/4 cup curry leaves
- 1 tbsp tamarind
- 1/2 tsp mustard seedsRock salt to taste
To a heavy bottomed pan heat 1 tsp oil - add urad dal and chillies(both kashmiri and normal red chillies).Roast until golden.Finally add tamarind,curryleaves,salt and hing.
Transfer to a plate and cool down completely.Transfer to mixer jar and grind it slightly coarse.
To 1/2 tsp oil add mustard seeds let it splutter add it to the mixer jar, pulse it few times(do not grind).Whole mustard should be seen here and there.Spread on a plate and cool down and then store.
Serve with gingelly oil.
- If you prefer a less spicy version just reduce the red chillies to half.
- The orginal recipe uses a pinch of lemon powder which gives slightly sour taste to the podi to match the store bought podi. I added tamarind instead and its purely optional.
- MTR idli podi has very dominant hing flavour but I added only 1/4 tsp, if you want you can add 1/2 tsp too.
Make sure there is no moisture in the mixer before grinding it. Also cool down the ingredients completely before grinding.
- Gingelly oil is good for health so add it generously and enjoy ur idlis.