Masala seeyam recipe
Masala seeyam recipe a traditional Chettinad special dish.
- 1/2 cup raw rice Pacharisi - 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup urad dal
- 1/4 cup small onion sliced
- 2 tbsp coconut grated
- salt to taste
- oil to deep fry
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- few nos curry leaves finely chopped
- 1 no green chillies finely chopped
Measure raw rice and urad dal equally(I took 1/2 and 1/2) and soak it for at least 2 hrs.Add water little by little and grind to a fluffy batter(like idli batter).Set aside.
In a kadai - heat oil add the items listed under 'to temper' then add onions along with required salt. Saute till transparent, then add coconut give a quick stir and switch off.
Transfer the above sauted ingredients to the batter along with required salt and mix well.
Heat oil - check by dropping a pinch of ball if it rises immediately then oil is ready.When the oil gets heated up make small round balls with your hand, wipe excess at the sides and carefully drop it into the preheated oil.Turn over to other side and fry till golden brown.Drain in tissue and enjoy your seeyam.
Repeat to finish the batter.
- Dont bother about the exact round shapes while dropping into oil.
- Make sure you grind the batter fine and fluffy. Using grinder gives best results,but as its small amount I used mixie only.
- If by mistake you have grinded the batter very runny then add 1 tbsp rice flour and mix well but don't add more.
- I recommend adding small onion as it gives a great flavour.