Seeyam recipe a chettinad special sweet made for Diwali.With sweet chana dal stuffing and a crisp outside tastes soo good.
For the inner stuffing:
- 1/2 cup chana dal
- 3/4 cup water for cooking dal
- 1/2 cup jaggery
- 1/4 cup water for syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut
- a pinch cardamom powder
For the outer wrap:
- 1/2 cup raw rice
- 1/2 cup urad dal
- water as needed
- salt to taste
Soak urad dal and raw rice together for 2 hours.Rinse it well, transfer to mixer jar, add water little by little and grind to a thick smooth batter.Do not add more water, the batter should be thick.
Transfer the batter to a mixing bowl add required salt along with little water to thin the batter if needed.IThe batter should be thick at the same time in flowing consistency.Set aside.Now take jaggery in a pan along with water.
Heat it up until jaggery melts completely no need to check for any consistency.Once jaggery melts switch off and set aside to cool.Pressure cook chana dal along with water for 6 whistles in medium flame.Dal should be easily mashable.Set aside.
Heat ghee in a pan, add coconut saute for 2 mins.Then add cooked dal, give a quick saute.Then mash it using a masher.
- You can use either idli dosa batter or fresh batter as mentioned here for the outer wrap, its purely your preference.
- If the batter is runny then the seeyams will drink more oil so keep an eye when you grind the batter.
- If you are making in bulk, then use grinder.Batter made with grinder is best but when we make a small batch.
- The batter will be a little more so you can use it for making masala seeyam.