Last Updated on December 7, 2020
Vengaya Vadagam Chutney Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Onion – 2 medium sized sliced lengthwise
Thalippu(Seasoned) Vengaya Vadagam – 1 tsp
Dried Red Chillies – 2
Tamarind – 1 tsp
Gingelly / Cooking Oil – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
- Heat oil – add vadagam and fry for a minute. Then add red chillies and sliced onion.
- Fry till golden brown then add tamarind and fry for another 2-3 mins until onions turn even more browned.
- Cool down completely and grind it along with salt and little water to a semi fine paste. Adjust water according to chutney consistency.
Add gingelly oil / ghee while serving.
- You can get vengaya vadagam in supermarkets like nilgiris. Do not add more as the chutney will become bitter.The vadagam comes in lemon sized balls, you can shred it and use when required. Keep refrigerated until use.
- The vadagam can be used for seasoning for kara kulambu, fish kulambuand even for paruppu urundai kulambu.
- This suits best for both idli and dosa.The chutney keeps well only for a day so consume it accordingly.