Vazhaipoo Podimas Recipe – Ingredients
Buttermilk – 1/4 cup
Big Onion – 1
Garlic – 6 cloves
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Turmeric powder – a generous pinch
Coconut – 1 tbsp grated
Salt – taste
Oil – 2 to 3 tsp
To roast and grind:
Cashews – 10 to 15
Peanuts – 1/2 tbsp
Cinnamon – 1/2 inch piece
Cloves – 2
Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Clean vazhaipoo, chop them finely and soak in buttermilk till use to avoid darkening.Dry roast all the ingredients listed under ‘to roast and grind’ till golden brown.
- Cool down and Transfer the roasted ingredients to a mixer. Then grind it to a semi fine powder , set aside.Heat oil in a pan add curry leaves once it splutters – add onion and ginger garlic paste and saute till golden brown.
- Add salt, red chilli powder and turmeric powder and mix well.Then drain buttermilk water and add the veggie.
- Add little water till immersing level and keep covered and cook till the veggie becomes soft.Once the moisture is gone add the roasted powder, give a quick stir and keep cooking for 2mins. Then finally add coconut and switch off.
Serve hot with rice and sambar!
- You can skip red chilli powder and add green chillies instead while tempering.
- You can plus or minus the ingredients for roast and grind’ as per your taste preference.
- Keep covered while cooking the veggie this will ensure cooking faster.