My cousin sis got me this cute blue serving dish and I coudlnt wait to start using it for my pictures 🙂
Tamarind Urad Dal Chtuney
Recipe Category: Sidedish
Coconut – 1/2 cup
Whole Urad Dal – 3 tbsp
Dry Red Chilli – 1
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Tamarind – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Water – as needed
- Heat oil in a pan – add mustard seeds let it splutter then add urad dal and roast till golden.
- Then add coconut and start roasting.Roast till it becomes dry and slightly golden.
- When it starts to brown add red chilli and tamarind roast for 2mins and switch off.Transfer to a mixer add little water.
- Grind it to a coarse paste add required salt and water again and grind again to smooth chutney consistency.
Serve hot with idli, dosa or uttapam
- Roast the dal just till golden.
- Do not add more tamarind.
- Roasting coconut is the key to increase more shelf life.Do not brown it too much the taste will change.
- Adding gingelly oil(nallennai) while tempering gives good flavour.
- You can add an extra red chilli if you prefer spicy chutney.
- Do not add more water, this chutney should be thickish ideal for travel.
- This chutney keeps well for atleast 4-6 hrs in room temperature.