Trust me, this is very easy to make without any fuss / major flops…Amma makes both version of pidikozhukattai the one made with rice flour and with broken rice that I am posting it here…
Sweet Pidi Kozhukattai Recipe
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Raw Rice – 1/2 cup
Jaggery – 1/2 cup
Water – 2 cups
Grated coconut – 2 tbsp
Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
Ghee – just to grease
- Soak jaggery in warm water(till immersing level say 3/4 to 1 cup) , crush it well. Then heat it up for 3mins..no consistency check has to be done here.Strain and keep aside.
- Grind raw rice to a coarse mixture more like rava consistency.Set aside.In a nonstick pan add jaggery syrup along with water,cococnut and cardamom powder.Let it come to a rolling boil, at this stage add rice mixture.
- Keep in low flame and cook for 5mins then keep it closed.Check if rice is cooked then keep stirring to avoid burning at the bottom.
- When it becomes a thick mass and comes together cook for 3 more mins and switch off.Allow it to cool down for few mins.Grease your hands with oil / ghee then take a small portion and make cylindrical shapes and press it with your fingers to get the impression…repeat the same for the entire mixture.Then arrange it in a idli plate and steam it for 7-10mins.
While serving you can add a tsp of ghee for the extra flavour and shine too 🙂
- Make sure you use only 2 cups of water including jaggery syrup.
- If you are not confident of the exact consistency to switch off, you can just take a small ball and roll and see, if it forms a ball then its the right consistency.
- Dont make jaggery syrup thick else rice will not get cooked easily.Keep your jaggery syrup runny just like water.
- Make sure the rice is almost cooked before steaming this ensure soft kozhukattais.
- Make sure you grind raw rice only to a coarse rava like mixture, dont powder it fine.