I am a bit busy here at Chennai so kindly bear with some simple recipes this week….will be sure back with some interesting recipes next week okay?! 🙂 I haven’t checked my mails yet, will be replying back soon.
Potato Chutney Recipe
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Potato – 1 big chopped into bite sized pieces
Big Onion – 1 finely chopped
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Water – 1/2 cup
Salt – to taste
To grind to a paste:
Big Onion – 1 chopped roughly
Tomatoes 2 roughly chopped
Garlic – 4 cloves
Red Chillies – 2
Cooking Oil – 1/2 tbsp
Gingelly Oil – 1/2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – a small sprig
Hing – a tiny pinch
- In a mixer add the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ and grind it to a fine paste,Set aside.Heat oil in a a kadai – add onion and fry till transparent.
- Then add onion tomato paste and let it boil for few mins until raw smell of tomatoes leave.Then add potatoes.
- Add 1/2 cup water, Cover and cook for few mins until potatoes turn slightly soft yet crunchy enough to bite.Let it cook for 3more mins.Add required salt.
- Meanwhile heat a tadka pan – add the ingredients listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter then add it to the chutney
Serve with chapathi / idli / dosa
- Don’t overcook potatoes, it shouldn’t be mushy thats the speciality of this chutney.
- You can even add 1/2 tsp sambar powder for extra flavour.
- If you dont prefer gingelly oil, then add 1 tbsp cooking oil itself.
- This is mildly spicy, adjust red chillies according to your taste.