I love kozhukattai , idiyappam or idli or any steamed food for breakfast as its light on tummy at the same time makes you feel healthy to start the day.You can even try it for 4PM evening snack!
Samai Kozhukattai Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Samai(Little Millet) – 1/2 cup
Water – as needed
Salt – to taste
For the stuffing:
Coconut – 1/3 cup grated
Sugar – 2 tbsp
Tutti Frutti – 1 tbsp
Cinnamon powdered – a pinch
Cardamom powder – a pinch
- Dry roast the millet for 3-5mins till it changes color slightly and nice aroma comes.then grind it in a mixer to a fine powder.Add salt to the flour and keep the flour ready in a mixing bowl.Set aside.
- Mix coconut,sugar and tutti frutti together and keep aside.In a pan heat water when it starts to boil vigourously switch off and add it to the millet flour little by little.
- Knead it together to form a smooth dough, it will be slightly sticky.Pinch a small portion and shape them into balls, then make a small dent in the middle add the coconut stuffing.
- Now shape them as balls or make as pidi kozhukattais as shown.Repeat the same till the entire dough gets over.Steam it for 10-12 mins.
Serve hot or warm!
- I made bigger sized kozhukattai but I recommend making them a bit smaller.
- Just dry roast for 3-5mins in low flame and switch off when the millet starts to change color.
- I wanted to make the same stuffing as thenga bun so added tutti frutti too.
- I used samai for making this kozhukattai, You can even try with varagu or kuthirai vali.
- Serve hot as millet recipes mostly tend to become dry faster.