Rice Ada Upma is a quick and easy breakfast recipe that you can make for a busy morning.I had some leftover ada which I bought for making payasam for Onam.I always end up making only payasam with ada so this time tried upma with it.I googled a bit for more interesting ada recipes but sadly none were there but I am happy that I tried this simple upma as I loved it especially with the coconut oil flavour, soft ada with crunchy onion and carrots perfect for breakfast!You can make sweet version by adding coconut,sugar and cardamom powder.
Rice Ada Upma Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Breakfast | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Rice Ada – 3/4 cup
Carrot – 1/3 cup
Big Onion – 1/2 cup chopped finely
Water – as needed
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves- a small sprig
Green Chilli – 1 small slitted
Hing – a pinch
- Rinse the ada well, then soak in hot water for 15mins.Boil water and cook add for few mins until it becomes soft.
- Drain water and set aside.Fluff it up.Get all your ingredients ready.
- In a pan heat oil in pan – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter, then add onion saute till transparent, add required salt.
- Add carrot and saute till raw smell leaves.Add cooked ada.
- Give a quik mix cook covered for 5mins then fluff it up.
Serve hot / warm!
- You can use any of your favorite veggies too.You can even add 1 small tomato for a tangy flavour.
- Do not overcook the veggie, let the crunch be there.
- You can even add a 1/2 tsp of lemon juice for a lemony flavour.