This is regular aval upma with a slight variation.This red aval upma is easy and quick to make that you can serve for guests as neiveidhyam for navaratri. It is again a no onion no garlic recipe suitable for navaratri.I made this for today’s breakfast and loved it with my cup of coffee.You can make sweet version by adding coconut,sugar and cardamom powder.
Other Poha / Aval Upma Recipes :
Red poha recipe video
Red Poha Upma Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Breakfast | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Coconut – 3 tbsp grated
Green Chilli – 1/2
Coconut Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves- a small sprig
Hing – a tiny pinch
- Measure and take poha.Rinse it once, then soak in water once the water is absorbed,fluff it up and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it crackle.Meanwhile grind coconut and green chillies to a coarse mixture without adding water.
- Now add coconut mixture,add required salt and saute for few mins until raw smell leaves.
- Now add poha,saute for a minute add idli molaga podi toss it well for few mins.
Serve hot / warm!
- Do not add more water, then it will become soggy.Just add water till immersing level.
- You can even add onion while sauteing.
- You can even add a 1/2 tsp of lemon juice for a lemony flavour.
- You can replace coconut oil with gingelly oil too.
- You can replace green chillies with red chillies.
- The spice powder I have used here is already spicy so I added just 1/2 green chilli, you can adjust according to your preference.