Vazhakkai Curry Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian| Recipe Reference: Raks Kitchen
Raw banana(Vazhakkai) – 1 big
Onion – 1 chopped lengthwise
Turmeric 1/4 tsp
Salt- to taste
Coconut – 2 tbsp
Coriander seeds – 1.5 tbsp
Pepper – 1 tsp
Jeera – 1 tsp
Red chilli – 2
Garlic – 2
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 3/4 tsp
Urad dal – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – few
- Scrap the skin of vazhakai, chop into lengthwise small pieces and keep immersed in water, keep aside. Grind the ingredients under ‘to grind to a paste’ with little water to a semi coarse paste. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds once it crackles add urad dhal and curry leaves, fry for a minute.
- Now add onions and fry till golden brown then add the paste. Saute for a minute.
- Then add 1/4 cup water(I added little more) ,vazhakai, turmeric powder – Give a quick stir. Keep covered with a lid in medium flame until the veggie gets soft. When the water evaporates and the veggie is cooked, fry the masala until it gets dry and it turns light brown in color.Switch off.
Serve hot with a generous serving of ghee, heaven I say 🙂
- I reduced little pepper from the orginal quantity as I felt the curry a bit spicy for us. The orginal recipe calls for 1.5 tsp.If you wish you can reduce red chillies to 1.
- It is a spicy curry so combines well with mor kuzhambu