Rava Sweet Pongal (Sakkarai Pongal using rava) is a quick and easy pongal recipe that can be made with sooji(rava),jaggery and moong dal as main ingredients.The method is same as how we make sakkarai pongal.I love anything made with rava from upma to kesari.You can also make this with wheat rava or broken rava to make it more healthy.As I am posting for pongal, I keep all the health factors aside and tried with fine rava 😉
Also I wanted to start using my new camera with a sweet dish and this happened to be the first batch of clicks for sharmis passions using it 🙂 Ahhh dont ask me the experience it was pathetic, have to first sit with the manual and spend some time with the camera when the baby naps.
Rava Sweet Pongal Recipe
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Fine Rava(Sooji) – 1/2 cup
Moong Dal – 1/4 cup
Jaggery – 1/2 cup
Thick Coconut milk – 1/4 cup
Water – 1 and 1/4 cup(for rava) + 3/4 cup(for dal)
Cashews – 5 broken
Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Soak jaggery in warm water(till immersing level) , crush it well. Then heat it up until it is slightly thick (no string consistency needs to be checked).Strain and keep aside.(I made more than above mentioned quantity for storing purpose).
- Measure the ingredients and get ready.Now dry roast moong dal till golden then add 3/4 cup water.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles or until mushy.Mash it with a laddle and set aside.Dry roast rava till nice aroma comes.Do not let the color change.Set asidef
- In a pan heat ghee and roast cashews till golden,set aside.Now in the same pan add water and let it to boil.
- Add rava in a sprinkled way and keep stirring to avoid lumps.Once rava is cooked, add mashed dal.
- Mix well so that rava and dal gets blended nicely.Now add jaggery syrup and keep flame in medium low.
- Keep closed and cook covered for 2mins.Now open and add coconut milk, add little ghee.
- Mix well.Add remaining ghee and stir well.Finally add cashews and cardamom powder, give a quick stir and switch off.
Sve hot / warm.
- I used fine rava, you an even use wheat rava but water measures will be different.
- I used my pressure pan to make this, you can use any heavy bottomed pan / nonstick pan.
- While adding rava, add it in a sprinkled manner and keep stirring to avoid lumps.
- Add jaggery syrup only after rava is cooked.
- This gives nice volume for 1/2 cup itself.
- Keeps well for about a week in airtight container.
- The jaggery syrup need not be thick.