I had half pack of puffed rice(pori) and very few almonds so emptied them to make this healthy snack bars.Do try this for your kids snack box and wait for their feedback 🙂
Puffed Rice Snack Bar Recipe Ingredients:
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Pori / Puffed rice- 2 and 1/2 cups
Jaggery – 1/4 cup tightly packed
Water – 1/8 cup or little less than that (It should be just for the level of jaggery to immerse)
Almonds – 2 tbsp chopped
Dry Fruits – 2 tbsp chopped
Ghee – 1 tsp to grease the tin
- In a mixing bowl,add pori,chopped almonds and dry fruits.I used cranberries.
- Measure jaggery and add it in a pan, add water and dissolve it well.Heat it up for 2mins just for the jaggery to get dissolved.Strain to remove impurities.
- Heat it up again and keep cooking,Consistency check : Keep a separate plate ready filled with little water.Take a drop of jaggery syrup and put it in water, it should stand firm and not dissolve as shown below.
- You should be able to gather to form a nonsticky soft ball when you roll it with your fingers .When this consistency is reached, add the pori and switch off.
- Now stir well, so that it gets completely coated with the jaggery syrup.Quickly transfer the mixture to a greased tray and press it well using a flat bottomed bowl.
- Let it to set for 15mins in room temperature itself.Run a knife through the edges then invert the tray,cut into squares.
Store in airtight container and enjoy!
- Be careful in checking the consistency else making them into bars will be tough.
- The color of the Puffed Rice Snack Bar totally depends on the jaggery variety.
- You can add any dryfruits and nuts of your choice.