Last Updated on December 7, 2020
Oats Kozhukattai Recipe- Ingredients
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Oats – 1 and 1/4 cups
Water – 1 cup
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tsp + 1 tsp for greasing
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – few torn into pieces
Red Chillies – 2 broken
- Dry roast oats for 3mins till nice aroma comes, Set aside. Heat oil in a pan – add the items under ‘to temper’, let it splutter.Then add water and allow it to boil.Add required salt.
- When water is boiling, add roasted oats and keep stirring until oats is cooked and a sticky mixture comes together. Switch off and allow it to cool for 3mins. Once it is hand bearable hot grease your hands with oil and start making kozhukattai shapes or even as simply balls.
- Continue doing it till the entire mixture gets over. If its too dry then sprinkle little water to hold them together.Grease idli plates with little oil and carefully transfer the kozhukattais to the plate and steam it for 5-7mins.
Serve hot with coconut chutney or any chutney of your choice!
- Adjust water according to the consistency, the consistency should be sticky not brittle. If its too dry then it will not hold shape.Also water quantity should be little lesser than oats, this way you get the right consistency without making it mushy.
- Once done the kozhukattais will look shiny, this way you can identify when it gets done.
- You can even powder oats to a coarse mixture and make kozhukattais.
- Add coconut and onion for extra crunch.You can even add any vegetables of your choice.