I have tried few varagu recipes and this one is a quick fix for me when I am tired to make something elaborate for breakfast…I usually make it plain but sometimes add vegetables too.Keep changing your breakfast menu every now and then….don’t stick with just millets or oats daily have a change in your menu every week so that you don’t get bored and also to get the health benefits of everything.Have a great weekend!! 🙂
Varagu Upma Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Breakfast | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Varagu(Kodo Millet) – 1/2 cup
Carrot – 1 mediumsized chopped finely
Beans – 6 nos finely chopped
Big Onion – 1 chopped finely
Water – 1 cup
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad Dal – 3/4 tsp
Curry leaves- a small sprig
Green Chilli – 1 small sliced
Hing – a pinch
- Rinse the millet well,drain water and set aside.In a pressure cooker heat oil – add the items listed under ‘to temper’ let it splutter, then add onion and fry till transparent.
- Then add the veggies and saute for 3mins or until raw smell leaves along with required salt.Then add the millet and give a quick mix.
- Add water and pressure cook for 3 whistles in low medium flame and switch off..Once pressure releases, fluff it up.
Serve hot / warm!
- You can use any of your favorite veggies too.You can even add 1 small tomato for a tangy flavour.
- You can try this recipe with other millets like samai, kuthiraivali etc.
- You can even add a 1/2 tsp of lemon juice for a lemony flavour.