I was waiting to try this Ulundu Sundal as it was not easy to find the whole black urad with skin.Whole Urad Dal is very healthy and rich in iron which makes it a healthy pulse.
I tried to get this whole black urad dal in few shops but couldn’t get it and finally 2 days back,hubby got it from a small shop in our area.I was supposed to post this sundal recipe yesterday itself but was bc shopping so couldn’t spend time for blogging not that justifies this sundal post today right?! 😉
Karuppu Ulundu Sundal Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Black Urad Dal – 1/4 cup
Freshly grinded pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
Fresh Grated Coconut – 2 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – a small sprig
Hing – a tiny pinch
- Soak whole urad dal(with skin)overnight.I kept inside a bowl and place it inside the pressure cooker.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles along with enough water and required salt in medium flame or until it becomes soft,Set aside.Heat oil in a pan add the ingredients listed under ‘to temper’.
- Add hing, let it splutter then add cooked urad dal draining water. toss it and cook covered for few seconds.
- Add coconut,then pepper powder toss it well and switch off.
Serve hot / warm as a evening snack!
- I soaked overnight and pressure cooked for 2 whistles,little crunchy perfect for sundal.
- I pressure cooked keeping a vessel inside so that it doesn’t get mushy.