This is not a paid review, I just wanted to share my experiences as a food blogger.
I often get queries regarding tips to become a food blogger and how to start a food blog.So I thought this is the right time to share my experiences with you all after almost 8 yrs of blogging! I started sharmispassions in blogger.com just to record my passions in various fields especially mobiles..yes I was crazy over mobile models.But then my interest took a twist and turned towards food blogging.
Food Blogging..What is it?
Food blogging is nothing but sharing recipes online through platforms like blogger , wordpress etc.Cook,click photos and share recipes…cool right?!
There are many blogging platforms but the two popular ones are blogger and wordpress.
I didn’t know that wordpress existed when I started blogging and I always liked google products so continue blogging in blogger itself.
How to start a food blog: I am covering up only blogger and wordpress as I have used only their services.
1.Go to the website
2.Create an account with your gmail id
3.Choose your blog name then choose a theme
4.Start blogging – Your blog looks like this : http://sharmiclicks.blogspot.in/
5.In future if you wish to move to your own custom domain(www.blogname.com) you can do it by choosing any reliable domain provider.
6. Set up google tools
- In blogger you need not worry about anything technical, only designing the blog is your work.
- Google takes care of managing your content,maintaining your website,website speed and other major technicalities.
- All your blogger images are uploaded to picasa.
- And everything comes to you for free…yes you read it right,Its absolutely free!
- Even if you move to custom domain, the cost of domain is also cheap comes about 10$ per year.
- But remember there are certain limitations in blogger platform.
So having all this why do you want to move to wordpress? This is the repeated question I had been asked by many when I said I migrated from blogger to wordpress.
1.Choose a blogging platform.
2.Name of the blog.
3.Choose a reliable web host.
4.Install wordpress,wordpress theme and plugins.
5.Set up google tools.
Now here is about wordpress :
- The first and main thing which made me decide to move to wordpress is : You own your content…content includes everything from text,content and images.
- You own your domain and have full control over it.
- Going forward, this is what you need if you consider your blogging journey more serious and earn out of it.
There may be initial hiccups setting up the website but its all a learning curve so don’t hesitate, if you have a plan to move then do it right away.
All the other features that were there on blogger is covered mostly in wordpress too but comes with a clause:
Yes wordpress is expensive – You need to spend for
- Self hosted server(either VPS or shared).
- Theme(If you opt for paid theme).
- Back up,Plugins,Techsupport and all that.
- Except for the theme the expense is for every year but that should drive more traffic and income in return(I have heard so, am yet to experience it myself).
From the day I decided to migrate from blogger to wordpress, I kept asking advice from few blogger friends about the move then did a lot of study about the process,wordpress,hosting servers , themes etc
If you do not know any technical aspects but still want to move to selfhosted server no worries choose a good support.
Migration from blogger to wordpress:
I did a lot of research,communicated with few online companies,even visited few IT firms here in person but was not satisfied at all.Finally my search ended here: hostmyblog.co.One thing that impressed me was the prompt reply from them for all my innumerable queries and yes finally I chose them and they did the migration work for me…Now I am so glad about my choice.They are quite economical too!
I know it was a nightmare to transfer 1400+ posts and 33K + comments from one platform to another. The migration started off smooth then had few issues with server which stressed me so much…yes 2 days of sleepless nights,finally the site was up! Thank you hostmyblog for the enormous support throughout the migration process and even after that,and for valuing my efforts and helping at the critical time of need! The team is online most of the time so asking any query is easy and I found them reliable so was comfortable sharing my credentials with them.All these days,I was struggling to manage everything all alone now a bit relieved to hand over the technical support to them. Now I can concentrate more in blogging.
I have received mails from quite a few readers saying that they liked the previous design than this change but am sure you will get accustomed to this template and understand that this is easier to browse as well.Slowly I have started to get good reviews for the new template change so yayy for that!!
Frequently Asked Questions :
1.Who should choose blogger?
If you are taking blogging just as a passtime, you are not a techno savy and want to handle blogging simple and easier then blogger is the right choice for you.
2.Who should choose wordpress?
You are ready to invest some money, consider blogging as a serious career and consider living out of it then wordpress is the right choice.Atleast some amount of technical knowledge is needed to work in wordpress but you can either learn or hire someone to help you with.
3.Currently my blog / website is in blogger..Can I migrate it to wordpress?
Yes definitely.I have just migrated from blogger to wordpress.But my advice is if you are planning to migrate to wordpress do it at an early stage itself,do not wait.
4.How do I earn money out of my blog?How much do I earn?
You can run ads on your blog which brings income to you.
How much depends on the ads you choose,where you place your ads and traffic to your blog.
5.I started a blog,I am posting regularly why am I not getting enough traffic and money out of it?
Just blogging regularly for a year doesn’t mean that you can earn more money out of it.There are several factors involved like
- Quality Content is the main factor so keep concentrating on it.
- Setting up your website in google.
- Sharing the content in social media.
- Keep your blog neat and user friendly so that readers return back.
- Choose nice props to present your food.
- You can start with normal point and shoot camera then upgrade to DSLR.
- Make your food pics more presentable not too cluttered.
- Work on SEO, keep your title and keywords apt to be easily searchable.
- Done with all this?! keep posting and focus on content I am sure you will see good results in a while.
Have any more questions? Please mail me at [email protected]