Hotel Sambar Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Toor Dal – 1/2 cup
Moong Dal – 2 tbsp
Tomato – 1 big sized roughly chopped
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Small Onion – 13 to 15
Green Chilli – 1 slitted
Tamarind – a small lemon sized ball
Hing – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder – a generous pinch
Curry Leaves – a small sprig
Coriander Leaves(finely chopped) – to garnish
Oil – 1 tsp
Water – as required
Salt – to taste
Oil – 3 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Sambar Powder – 1 heaped tsp
- Take both the dals rinse it well then 2 cups of water along with turmeric powder and pressure cook for 6 to 7 whistles or until mushy.Get ready with other ingredients.
- Add hot water to tamarind,soak it for few mins then extract tamraind pulp,Set aside.Once pressure releases and mash it well with a laddle.
- Now add onion,tomato,curry leavs and green chilli to cooked dal and heat it up.Add about 1/2 cup water.
- Let it cook in low flame,cook covered for atleast 15mins.
- Then open,add tamraind extract and red chilli powder.
- Let it boil in low flame until raw smell of tmarind leaves.Meanwhile prepare the tadka – heat oil in a kadai – add mustard seeds,let it crackle.
- Then add sambar powder,once it bubbles up switch off.
- Immediately add it to boiling sambar.Add little water if its too thick.
- Let the sambar boil for 5-7mins, then garnish with coriander leaves and switch off.
Serve with hot idlis.
- This sambar will get thick, so adjust the consistency by adding water according to your preference.
- Adding veggies is purely your chouce.You can use carrots,brinjal for making this sambar.You can even use drumstick.
- Adding moong dal gives thickness to the sambar and also lends a good flavour.