Godhumai Halwa Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sweet | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Wheat Flour – 1/2 cup
Sugar – 1 cup
Melted Ghee – 1 and 1/4 cups (+ 2 to 3 tsp)
Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
Cashewnuts – 1 tbsp broken
Warm Water – 1 cup(for soaking) + water – 1/4 cup
Orange Food color – a pinch (optional)
- Take wheat flour and add water little by little to form a stiff dough. Soak the dough in 1 cup of warm water atleast for 5-7 hours – I soaked it overnight. Then mix the dough well with your hands till the dough is completely dissolved without any lumps.
- Then strain the milk using a strainer and discard the leftout scum. Leave the milk to rest for sometime….Next, discard the top most clear liquid, without disturbing the settled milk(this step is optional but helps in saving time to get the final halwa stage). Fry the cashews in ghee and set aside.
- Take a heavy bottomed pan(I used my nonstick pan)Boil sugar with 1/4 cup water until it reaches a single thread consistency. Then add the wheat flour milk.
- Keep stirring…once it reaches the porridge stage start adding ghee may be 2-3 tbsp.
- Next it starts to look more transparent, add the food color and keep stirring. Add ghee and keep stirring it absorbs the ghee fast.More stirring and you will reach a consistency where it will come together as a whole mass.
- Keep stirring and add the remaining ghee….once it reaches halwa like consistency add the cashews, cardamom powder give a quick stir. Slowly it starts leaving ghee at the sides,try to roll a ball and it will easily form a ball this is the stage you should switch it off.
I am sure the ones we get in shops has more ghee and sugar in it. But I felt completely satisfied with the homemade version.
- You can even grease a tray and pour it and cut into pieces.
- And it wasnt easy to stir at the mid final stages when it starts to thicken. So I asked amma to stir and I clicked the pictures 🙂
- Even after adding the 1 and 1/4 cups of ghee, I felt it needed more so added extra 2 to 3 tsps to get the correct consistency.
- You can keep it outside for 2 days after that refrigerate it. When refrigerated it will become slightly hard just heat it up while serving.
- If you are trying for the first time, just try for 1/2 or 1 cup so that you get to know the tactics of stirring.
- Dont add ghee fully add it in intervals.