Gobi Paratha Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Main | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
For the chapathi dough:
Wheat flour – 1.5 cups
Salt – as needed
Oil – 2 tsp
Water – as required
For the stuffing
Grated Cauliflower – 3/4 cup
Turmeric powder – a pinch(optional)
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
Red chilly powder – 3/4 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tsp + for toasting
Salt – as required
Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp(finely chopped)
Step by step gobi paratha recipe:
- Add bite sized cauliflower florets in hot water(to remove worms if any). Dry them completely and then grate them finely – I used my vegetable chopper to do this.Set aside. Heat oil in a pan, add jeera allow it to crackle then add ginger garlic paste and saute till golden brown.
- Then add grated cauliflower, salt, red chilli powder, turmeric and garam masala powder and mix well.
Saute till raw smell of cauliflower leaves then cook it with lid closed for 5mins in sim stirring in between. Sprinkle little water if needed to cook faster. Saute in medium flame for another 5 mins.
- By now cauliflower would have turned soft and fried well, add coriander leaves give a quick stir and switch off.The filling is ready now.Now divide the chapathi dough into equal parts and roll into smooth balls.Flour the surface and roll the chappathi dough slightly thicker. Then add a generous spoon full of gobi filling and gather the dough from all sides sealing it finely.
- Now again flatten it slightly with your palms and then start rolling gently. Roll it without the filling oozing out. Dust flour so that it doesnt stick. Heat a dosa tawa , transfer the gobi parathas, drizzle little oil and cook on both sides. Serve hot with raita or your favourite sidedish.
Gobi parathas are best when served hot with pickle raita or onion raita. Only chopping the gobis are a little tedious task otherwise making the filling is just a breeze.
- Another way of making gobi parathas is rolling a chapathi, spread the filling and then placing another chapathi over it and then rolling it again. But I find this stuffing method easier and mess free.
- I have skipped green chillies and have added chilli powder instead to avoid green chillies disturbing while eating.
- If the shredding of cauliflower is fine, then rolling would be easier.
- Do not add more than the mentioned quantity of garam masala as it would overpower and spoil the taste.