Last Updated on December 7, 2020
Egg Sevai is my recent try though wanted to try a hotel version since I tasted it in a small mess near my house.They have different idiyappam varieties but the base gravy is the same so I thought to try egg version with it.I love the spice flavour so much and my most favourite is channa idiyappam.After tasting it quite a few times, I could guess the ingredients and tried it.I had a pack of rice noodles lying idle for a very long time so wanted to use it up so tried with it, But I strongly recommend to use homemade idiyappam which will be apt for this.Hubby and amma certified that it tastes as good as the one we tasted but suggested me to make it again with homemade idiyappam and yes I too felt the same.
I tried a different lighting for this set of pics by blocking the light and ended up with this.Though partially satisfied with the outcome I will definitely try to get the one which I wanted soon 🙂
Egg Sevai Recipe
Recipe Category: Snack / Dinner | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Cooked Rice Noodles(Sevai) – 1 cup
Egg – 2
Tomato – 2 small sized chopped roughly
Big Onion – 1 finely chopped
Garlic – 1 tsp finely chopped
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Leaves – 1 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – just to grease
To roast and grind:
Pepper – 1 tsp
Fennel Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon – 1/4 inch piece
Cloves – 2 small
Oil – 2 tsp
Kalpasi (Stone Flower) – a very tiny pinch
Curry Leaves – a small sprig
Marathi Mokku – 2
- Dry roast all the ingredients listed under ‘to roast’ till nice aroma rises.Then grind it to a semi coarse powder,Set aside.Heat oil in a pan – add kalpasi and marathi mokku.
- Then add curry leaves and let it splutter then add garlic and onion saute till it turns transparent.Then add the masala powder.
- Saute well , add required salt.Now add eggs and scramble it well.Set aside.
- Grind tomatoes to a fine puree.In a pan add tomato puree along with red chilli powder and coriander powder.
- Saute well till raw smell leaves.Then add egg mixture and give a quick saute till the masala blends well with eggs.
- Cook rice noodles as per the pack instructions or make homemade idiyappam and keep it ready.Add it and mix well.Adjust salt and garnish with coriander leaves and switch off.
Serve hot / warm.
- You can use readymade rice noodles or make homemade idiyappam.But I felt idiyappam will suit this better as it will absorb the flavour well.
- I used Concord readymade rice noodles, just soaked in hot water for few mins.
- Kalpasi is must as it lends a great flavour which gives it the apt hotel style.
- You can skip eggs and add parboiled / steamed vegetables.
- The sevai should not be too dry it should be slightly moist.