Last Updated on December 7, 2020
There are days when I buy things and totally forget about it…..Last weekend when I saw a dates pack which was almost a month old I wanted to use it up immediately. As everyone at home loves desserts, I decided to make a quick dessert…..and it was dates payasam(dates kheer) for after meal dessert.Dates Kheer is a very healthy no sugar guiltfree dessert that you can make it in minutes…its so quick with minimal ingredients that is easily available in your kitchen. I didnt follow any particular recipe for making this kheer, just made my own adjustments and the kheer came out delicious that you can relish every spoon!
Dates Payasam Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Dessert | Recipe Cuisine: Indian
Dates – 15
Boiled Milk – 2 and 1/2 cups
Coconut milk – 1/4 cup
Chopped dates – 1 tbsp
Chopped cashew and badam – 1 tbsp
Cardamom powder – a small pinch
Ghee – 1 tsp
- Soak dates in 1/2 cup warm milk for 15mins,Set aside. Meanwhile chop the nuts and dates.Heat ghee in a pan – add nuts and dates and fry till crispy.Set aside.
- Transfer soaked dates to a mixer, add little milk used for soaking and grind it to a semi fine paste.Boil milk and let it cook in sim for 5mins, then add dates paste.
- Give a quick mix and keep in low flame and cook for 5-7 mins till it becomes slightly thick,Then add ghee roasted dates and nuts mixture, cardamom powder, coconut milk and give a quick stir. Switch off.
I reserved few ghee roasted nuts dates mixture to sprinkled while eating….It tasted yum! Serve chilled / warm!
- I wanted to make it sugar free so didnt add sugar and we didnt miss it at all.
- You can even add a pinch of nutmeg powder for extra flavour.
- I just grinded dates to a coarse paste, its purely your preference for eating.
- You can skip coocnut milk and add condensed milk for a rich kheer.
- You can even add chopped banana for a change.