I have been trying Cholam / Sorghum Millet / Jowar recipes recently.Yesterday when I was asking my sis for ideas for sundal recipes, she suggested this one with chana dal . I loved the idea of making sundal with millet so I tried it today. We had it for breakfast along with pesarattu dosai, it was such a healthy and filling breakfast today.
Chola Sundal Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Snack | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Sorghum / Jowar / Cholam – 1/3 cup
Chana Dal – little less than 1/4 cup
Oil – 2 tsp
Fresh Grated Coconut – 2 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – a small sprig
Dried Red Chillies – 3 small
Ginger – 1/2 tsp grated
Hing – a tiny pinch
Roasted Jeera Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Measure and get ready with your ingredients.Soak sorghum overnight.Pressure cook for atleast 7-8 whistles along with enough water and required salt in medium flame or until it becomes soft.
- It should be soft but crunchy.Drain water and set aside.Boil water and add chana dal.
- Cook until it becomes soft but not mushy so keep an eye.
- Drain water and set aside.Heat oil in a pan – add the items listed under to temper’ let it splutter.Add chana dal saute for a minute.
- Then add cooked millet and toss it.Add little salt and roasted jeera powder.
- Cook in low flame for 2mins,then add coconut toss it and switch off.
Serve hot / warm as a evening snack!
- Sorghum millet takes time to cook so pressure cook accordingly.It took me 8 whistles.
- You can add sundal podi for flavour and drizzle coconut oil at the last for extra flavour.
- You can replace chana dal with boiled peanuts or lobia or even boiled sweet corn etc.