Mittu loves peanut butter so tried this chocolate version of peanut butter, it tasted yummy.I loved eating it as such, best as a spread for bread, chapathi, and dosa too.If you get roasted de-skinned peanuts then making peanut butter is just a breeze.Making homemade spreads like these are handy during the busy morning hours.
This time I used unrefined cane sugar, and there was no difference in taste, the taste is more like the jaggery version.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Spread Recipe
Recipe Category: Dip | Recipe Cuisine: World
Whole Peanuts(with skin) – 1 and 1/2 cups
Powdered Jaggery / Unrefined sugar – 3 tbsp
Cooking oil – 1.5 tbsp
Coco powder – 1.5 tbsp
Vanilla Essence – 1.5 tsp
- Take peanuts in a pan, roast until browned and the skin starts to easily peel off.Cool down and then remove the skin.You can take the peanuts in your palm,rub it then blow away the skin.
- Now remove the center white part and discard it(this step is purely optional but I recommend if you are going to give this peanut butter for kids), amma says its pitham not sure of what its called in english.
- Now take the peanuts in a blender,grind it to a caorse mixture,keep grinding after few mins it wil come together as a mass.
- Keep grinding it when it starts to come together, add powdered jaggery and coco powder.
- Then grind again, you can see the oil releasing and it will become sticky.At this stage add half of the oil you have.Grind it.
- Scrap the sides and keep blending,add remaining oil.Keep blending.
- Blend until you get a slightly flowing pastey texture.Finally add vanilla essence and mix it.This is the texture you want.
Keep in room temperature.Store in fridge after 2 days.
- The texture is purely your choice, if you want it crunchy then grind less.I wanted smooth peanut butter so grinded accordingly.
- Add odourless cooking oil.
- I have tried with jaggery syrup and honey too.
- If you are using jaggery as such then use cleaned jaggery.I used cane sugar this time.
- You can even use peanuts with skin but that will give a slightly bitter taste.
- I used my mixer jar, you can use your food processor too.
- This time I made slightly crunchy peanut butter.
- I didn’t add cooking chocolate, if you prefer you can add 2 tbsp melting chocolate