Chana Masala Recipe – Ingredients
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
Chana – 1 cup
Onion – 1 chopped finely
Tomato puree * – from 2 big tomatoes
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Garam Masala powder – 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Chana Masala Powder – 1 tsp
Lemon – 1/2
Coriander leaves – 2 tsp finely chopped
Salt – to taste
Coconut – 1/2 cup grated
Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Cinnamon – 1/4 inch piece
Cloves – 2
Jeera – 1 tsp
* It is not a must to make tomato puree like the way in the link, you can just grind raw tomatoes to a fine paste and use it for the recipe.
- Soak chana overnight or atleast for 8 hrs. Pressure cook for 6-7 whistles or until soft.Keep aside. Grind coconut, fennel seeds along with little water to a fine paste.Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan – add the items under ‘to temper’ let it splutter then add ginger garlic paste, onion and fry till onions turn golden brown.Then add tomato puree along with spice powders and required salt.Fry till raw smell of tomatoes leave.
- Then add coconut paste fry for 3mins then dilute it with water say 3/4-1cup. Allow it to boil till raw smell leaves and the oil starts seperating.
- Then add boiled chana and allow it to simmer for 5-7mins. Once the gravy is thick garnish with coriander leaves and switch off.
Squeeze lemon juice and serve with pooris. Serve with lemon wedges and onions rings.
- Make sure to cook chana till soft else ti will not absorb the gravy well.
- The consistency is purely your choice – If you want more like a kuzhambu consistency then switch off accordingly.
- If you dont have chana masala powder then skip it and increase garam masala powder to 1 tsp.Even without chana masala powder this tastes great as I have made it many times without it.