Channa Masala/Gravy is my all time fav with rotis/pooris or even with idly or doas. I dont have any fuss with black or white channa luv both but hubby likes only black for gravies….As its rich in protein and fiber I dont mind when he specifically grabs black channa while shopping.
Now you know another reason why this biriyani was also tried with black channa 🙂 This gravy recipe is from amma and we just luv the taste…..With hot pooris and the gravy with lemony touch the combo is unbeatable!!
- Black Channa – 1 cup
- Cloves – 1
- Cinnamon – 1/2 inch piece
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Garam masla powder/Channa masala powder -1/2 tbsp
- Onion – 1 medium sized chopped lengthwise
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Tomato – 1/2
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Lemon – 1/2 small size
- Tomato – 1 medium sized
- Coconut grated -1/2 cup
- Fennel(Sombu) – 1/2 tsp
Grind the above with little water to a fine thin paste.
- Pressure cook channa with a pinch of turmeric powder (It took 9 whistles for me) and keep aside.
- In a kadai, add oil and temper cloves and cinnamon. Add ginger garlic paste and fry for 2 mins…now add onion, half tomato, curry leaves and fry well till onions turn light brown.
- Add boiled channa, chilli powder, channa masala/garam masala powder and mix well.
- Now add the grinded coconut paste, saute till all is combined. Allow it to boil and switch off when oil seperates. Squeeze lemon juice while serving.