You can try jalfezi with any vegetables of your choice and name it vegetable jalfrezi 🙂 .You can make vegetable jalfrezi/ paneer jalfrezi / chicken jalfrezi just modify according to your liking.According to Wikipedia, Jalfrezi is a type of curry which involves frying marinated pieces of chicken or any meat or vegetables in oil and spices to produce a dry, thick sauce.
Jalfrezi is great as stuffing for kathi roll or frankie….I served with soft phulkas for hubby and I had it as stuffing for frankie.You can even use readymade wraps, stuff it with jalfrezi then warm up and serve it, works great for on the go breakfast / snacky.
I am glad to share the news that I am featured in Indian Express Indulge todays edition.Check media mention page for details. I am a little disappointed that my food picture that I prepared for the photoshoot is missing but then happy for the feature 🙂
Baby Corn Paneer Jalfrezi Recipe
Recipe Category: Sidedish | Recipe Cuisine: North indian
Baby Corn – 3/4 cup(cut into thin long strips)
Paneer – 1/3 cup(cut into thin long strips)
Big Onion – 1 small sized cut lengthwise
Green Capsicum – 1/3 cup((cut into thin long strips)
Tomato Sauce – 1 tbsp
Tomato puree* – from 2 medium sized tomatoes
Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tsp(optional)
Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala powder – 1/4 tsp
Dhaniya powder – 1/4 tsp
Roasted Jeera powder – 1/4 tsp
Water – 1/2 to 3/4 cup
Salt – to taste
Kasoori Methi – 1/2 tsp crushed
Coriander Leaves – 1 tbsp finely chopped
Oil – 2 tsp
Jeera – 1/4 tsp
*Note : No need to blanch tomatoes, just puree 2 raw tomatoes
- In a pan heat oil – add jeera let it crackle then add ginger garlic paste and onion fry till slightly browned then add tomato puree along with red chilli powder,corainder,garam masala and jeera powders mix well.Let it cook in low flame till raw smell of tomatoes leave.
- Then add babycorn,required salt and add 1/2 cup water and let it boil till baby corn turns soft(not mushy, it should be cooked yet crunchy enough to bite).Then add capsicum along with tomato sauce.Give a quick mix.
- Finally add paneer, give a mix and let it cook for 2mins for the masalas to blend well.Then garnish with coriander leaves,kasoori methi , stir once and switch off.
Serve hot / warm with roti or pulao or rice.
- The vegetables need to be crunchy so don’t over cook.
- As my tomato sauce was slightly sweet, I didn’t add any sugar.You can add a pinch of sugar while adding tomato sauce for a sweet tangy taste.
- You can add color capsicum to make the jalfrezi more colorful.
- You can make thin phulkas and stuff it with jalfrezi and roll it like frankie.
- You can add carrots or any other veggie of your choice.Or add chicken pieces too.
- Adjust quantity of water according to the consistency of the curry.